People that know me know that I didn’t always agree with Steve Jobs but I have no doubt of his creative skill and vision and his impact on modern life. I also think he had a huge impact on education and not always in the ways you might expect. I’ve been watching the Stanford University commencement address given by Steve Jobs in 2005. I had never seen it before his death on Thursday.

In his address he tells three stories about his life. The first is about his adoption and how his biological parents where determined that he be adopted by college graduates but that didn’t happen. In fact neither of his adopted parents had a college education. When Steve Jobs went to college himself he described how he effectively dropped out after six months. In his words what happened was that he then ‘dropped  in’. He spent the next 18 months going to classes that interested him including a class on calligraphy that sparked an interest in beautiful typography. Ten years later when building the first Apple computer he used his understanding and knowledge from those classes to create what he describes as the first computer with beautiful typography.

I love this story not just because of my own love of typography but because it in some ways it represented a rejection of commodified education in favour of education for education’s sake. I see echoes of this in the way that higher education may transform itself in future. We can see it already in the massive open online courses (MOOC) that are starting to be run by some academics and some institutions. There is a certain symmetry in noting that Stanford University’s Artificial Intelligence course had 225,000 enrollments in early September 2011.  This initiative in turn has been built on the pioneering MOOCs run by Stephen Downes, Alec Couros and Jim Groom among many others. I hope it is the start of continuing movement provided by many other academics and institutions that will allow universities to fulfill their true role in higher education.

In describing myself I use the following phrase:

I’m an educational technologist and e-learning person who believes that the disruption caused by modern communication technologies will lead to better systems of higher education and a re-invention of what universities should be about.

I believe that we are starting to see this happen. Massive open online courses are an output of the disruptive nature of modern information technology and the choice that Steve Jobs made at his college to ‘drop in’ rather than ‘drop out’ will, I hope, become the norm and not the exception.

You can watch Steve’s address here:

74 thoughts on “Dropping out and dropping in – Steve Jobs and higher education

1. Shoot for approximately 800 and 2000 words to get
    started on, but naturally you must comply with your host’s submission requirements in all cases.
    It appeared as if Nebraska; it absolutely was flat where there were cornfields, at any rate.

His kids were it is essential in his life.

2. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering issues with your
    RSS. I don’t know why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar RSS issues?

Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

Here is my blog post – doodle god hack ios – Retha,

3. Greetikngs from Florida! I’m bored too tears at work
    soo I deciided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
    I love the info you provide hedre aand can’t wait to
    take a look when I get home. I’m surrised at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..

I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, superb site!

Review my web blog :: loss of hair in patches

4. I think that what you published made a ton of sense.
    But, consider this, what if you were to create
    a killer headline? I am not saying your content isn’t solid., however what if you added a headline that makes people want more?
    I mean Dropping out and dropping in – Steve Jobs and higher
    education | Mark Smithers is kinda boring. You could glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create article headlines to grab people to open the links.
    You might add a video or a pic or two to
    grab people excited about what you’ve written. In my opinion, it would make your posts a
    little bit more interesting.

5. Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve undewrstand your stuff
    previous to and you are just too wonderful. I actually like whnat you have acquired
    here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still care ffor to keep it wise.
    I can’t wait to reazd much more from you. This is really
    a terrific website.

Feel free to surf to my web-site … weight loss recipes

6. Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.

Do you have any points or suggestions? Many
    thanks

7. A link with pregnancy has been observed but has not
    been fully established. That annoying itch that just will
    not stop, the one where your out in public and you suddenly find your hand wondering off
    by itself trying to scratch in places that “we ladies” do
    not scratch in public. It is caused by the Candida species of fungus hence
    the name and it is most common types of infection in women between the ages of 25 and 50.

8. Because the berries are very prevalent especially
    with frozen or microwave meals, quite a feew days.
    Nothing can beat the minute iin Western markets these days, you can include this within yiur own eating habits plan; nevertheless this is not byy
    itself. Thee significant achai berry quit smoking antioxidant content contained in thee universe.
    Now, the taste tests find out more, the good-for-you fatty acai berry
    qukt smoking acids, and scams aree ooften low in calories.

Have a look at my wweb blog … acai beeren brasilien

9. Tom Welling, lead actor on the series Smallville, is bound to
    star in a remake of the movie Teen Wolf. When a country is involved in war, a general mobilisation is declared.

You can tint your eyebrows by yourself and can find the the tint at most
    beauty stores.