People that know me know that I didn’t always agree with Steve Jobs but I have no doubt of his creative skill and vision and his impact on modern life. I also think he had a huge impact on education and not always in the ways you might expect. I’ve been watching the Stanford University commencement address given by Steve Jobs in 2005. I had never seen it before his death on Thursday.

In his address he tells three stories about his life. The first is about his adoption and how his biological parents where determined that he be adopted by college graduates but that didn’t happen. In fact neither of his adopted parents had a college education. When Steve Jobs went to college himself he described how he effectively dropped out after six months. In his words what happened was that he then ‘dropped  in’. He spent the next 18 months going to classes that interested him including a class on calligraphy that sparked an interest in beautiful typography. Ten years later when building the first Apple computer he used his understanding and knowledge from those classes to create what he describes as the first computer with beautiful typography.

I love this story not just because of my own love of typography but because it in some ways it represented a rejection of commodified education in favour of education for education’s sake. I see echoes of this in the way that higher education may transform itself in future. We can see it already in the massive open online courses (MOOC) that are starting to be run by some academics and some institutions. There is a certain symmetry in noting that Stanford University’s Artificial Intelligence course had 225,000 enrollments in early September 2011.  This initiative in turn has been built on the pioneering MOOCs run by Stephen Downes, Alec Couros and Jim Groom among many others. I hope it is the start of continuing movement provided by many other academics and institutions that will allow universities to fulfill their true role in higher education.

In describing myself I use the following phrase:

I’m an educational technologist and e-learning person who believes that the disruption caused by modern communication technologies will lead to better systems of higher education and a re-invention of what universities should be about.

I believe that we are starting to see this happen. Massive open online courses are an output of the disruptive nature of modern information technology and the choice that Steve Jobs made at his college to ‘drop in’ rather than ‘drop out’ will, I hope, become the norm and not the exception.

You can watch Steve’s address here:

41 thoughts on “Dropping out and dropping in – Steve Jobs and higher education

1. Nice post. It’s interesting that while at Stanford, he didn’t mention any positives for the current system. As you mentioned, he “effectively” dropped out. He dropped into what he liked specifically. College for me currently in the (USA) is a waste of time/money/income. We have a pointless 2 years of prerequisites. Then after that, a usual deprecated 2 more years for a 4 year degree.

Point of my comment is this: College is a scam. If you are capable of learning what you want. Their should be recognized alternatives. Maybe it’s my bias from the USA. However, colleges reap rewards in profit.

Btw, nice font-families…

2. Tx Ryan, I agree and I don’t think that it’s just a US thing although it may be more apparent there as many things are. I’m hoping that we will end up in a situation where people learn what they want to when they want to and at a reasonable cost (if not for free). It’ll take a while to get there and many interests will attempt to slow the journey.

PS. The fonts are just the ones from my current WP theme which I quite like at the moment.

3. Hi Mark,

I completely agree with your last statement: I also *think* we are at the beginning stages of seeing changes to higher education systems, particularly with Open Educational Resources, MOOC, and other online resource sharing systems. I’m especially excited about how technology could both change how folks pursue their interests (rather than forcing 2 years of required courses) and reach audiences that currently don’t have access to education. The later is something my organization – The Saylor Foundation (www.saylor.org) – is aiming to do. (If you haven’t heard of us – which is likely, as we’re fairly new – please check out our site. We’re offering over 200 free, peer-reviewed online college-level courses.)

I just came across your blog today and am looking forward to future posts and musings!

Best regards,
    Camie

• Hi Camie,

Apologies for the delay in replying. Thanks for your kind words. They are much appreciated.

Your site sounds very interesting. I just had a look at your site. It looks like a great venture. I hope you have every success with it.

Cheers

Mark

4. Hi Mark
    Great Post!

I liked this quote that sums up one of the main points for me

“I love this story not just because of my own love of typography but because it in some ways it represented a rejection of commodified education in favour of education for education’s sake.”

I couldn’t agree more. I went back to Uni to do a PhD about 10 years after my undergraduate education in medicine. I have notice a huge change in the climate of university learning in that time where we are now shifting into a business model of education – ie education in university is more like a commodity that can be bought, it seems to be about the endpoint (eg Degree) rather than the process and sprit of learning. To me this is an obvious change, and logical one given the cost of education rising, but to many it is not even apparent.

Thank you for your article it raises a very important point – education for educations sake will encourage those who really want to learn.

I often wonder what is the point in completing a degree when there seems to be little interest in improving the learning journey and so much focus on the endpoint – food for thought perhaps.

I also like your article on blogging and trust – well done!

I will comment on this separately

thanks
    Bishan :)

5. Hi Mark!
    Thank you for the post, I’m totally agree with your vision of e-learning outlook.
    And especially thank you for sharing this video. I am ashamed to confess I’ve never seen it before, although I respect Steve Jobs a lot and often look for fresh information and media about him and his activities.

6. Pingback: Obras de Anak-Pawis Artistas » Information What Is Voluntary Benefits Sci-Tech Information: Masses Say

7. To this day anybody who was current at this dwell seminar is topic not to focus on it.
    They’re right, of course, but it never hurts to have a few role models.
    So surveys can help us increase the profits of social media and social media also increases the power of surveys.

Here is my web site – frank kern

8. Hiya! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make
    your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my
    apple iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. Thanks!

9. Our expert personal injury lawyers specialize in vehicle accidents, wrongful death and other related cases.
    A few points that could help victims choose the right professional are as follows:.
    Whether the property has a private owner, is owned by a company or
    is the premises of a business, an incident report should be given.

10. Just in time for the kick-off of World Cup 2010 in a few days from now, we search the i – Phone App Store to find 8 i – Phone football apps.
    Editor’s Note: This article was updated in 2011 and reflects the editor’s opinions
    and choices at that time. What this app does is it enables you to
    access the 3G network for things the i – Phone would normally block by tricking it
    into thinking that it is operating over Wi-Fi.

11. Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
    challenging to get that “perfect balance” between usability and
    visual appearance. I must say you have done a excellent job with this.
    In addition, the blog loads super fast for me on Internet explorer.
    Outstanding Blog!

My web site … Realm of The Mad God Cheats

12. If he is respected, you can certain that he will
    handle your case with utmost diligent and efficiency.
    Many law firm websites will provide information that can assist you in dealing
    with your legal problem, and, in addition, will provide you
    with background information about an attorney that might interest you.
    Louis criminal lawyer will also deal with any points put
    forward by the other party with utmost efficiency.

13. Excellent blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you advise starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Appreciate it!

14. are building something, your game power will increase.
    The first music that comes to mind is Mozart, but the song that comes to mind for the two of us is
    “It’s Impossible” sung by Perry Como. Games Conference focused on computer platforms and Facebook.

15. Hola. El arte es mi pasión, diariamente me esfuerzo por descubrir un todo lo
    que puedo sobre arquitectura, pintura y tu artículo
    me parece muy bueno por eso, toda la información que compartes está increíble .
    Ojalá compartas más artículos similares porque
    los adoro . Mil gracias . Saluditos.

16. Word Games People who are thinking about improving their vocabulary or those who want to keep testing their vocabulary skills enjoy playing online flash game versions of
    Scrabble and Cross Word. It is probably the scarcer games listed but is just not very well liked so that it doesn’t appear any more
    than the 10th spot. Choose officer cards with offense score as close to the mission. All the
    unhealthy guy that you handle with is an extremely guilty person, however money can get anything.

Still other games allow defenders to set up
    their towers and other structures strategically for the same
    purposes. This is certainly one game which has developed during
    the entire centuries. The main drawback of practicing this system is
    the player is fixed with numbers from 1 to 31
    as based around the calendar when there. The program is completed in partnership with
    several international business schools in six countries.
    There isn’t feature getting the strategy games since the on the net portals provide
    them without charging a penny. Only one number combination is drawn in every drawing so the possibility of you winning inside the Straight play is one in ten thousand.

The games have attracted a variety of fans from when they were invented.
    It also barrows features from the original game, such
    as tech tree and secret projects (in Civilization 2 it this became called
    Wonders with the World). And take time to consider your strategy
    in the game in advance. But as you get the nag of computer,
    you may know that the games are really much fun to
    learn. In Drows Fury, you may become part of a fantasy and action world filled up with
    a good amount of surprises. In case you’ll have a very complex tactic to
    automate and definately will requirement for what’s more, it
    an user-friendly interface then this most suitable choice without a doubt will likely be Roulette
    Scripter Studio Pro. These concepts are further broadened by giving
    him with advanced toys. Another innovative activity is Free –
    Orion a galactic sort of sport that you need to look at your galaxy, utilize means, expand the city in addition to do away with another contest for ones race’ control.
    Before trying this, be certain to discover the best Zerg scouting
    and harassing strategies here. They aren’t always as profitable, nevertheless they can present you with some good rewards regarding gear, reputation, buffs, and of course, gold.

Try and locate the versions that tend not to cause you to
    be need to download anything in your hard disk drive should you want
    to make sure you are certainly not buying a virus.
    Strategy games provide some of the richest game play that you can find.
    If you offer an internet connection, you are all set.

Additionally, organizations must erect radars in several parts
    in the globe to scan the surroundings for opportunities and threats.
    One will feel amaze through operating on its majestic wide screen that is touch sensitive.

17. Foods from the grocery store might last you all month, whereas
    the organic versions of those same foods at the health
    food store may only last you half the month. Her scheme worked for it is said that Marc Antony fell madly in love
    with her. The more pronounced this process gets, the more serious the digestive issues grow into.

My homepage; gluten free society blog (Twitter.com)

18. Thanks to the six-year guarantees that are so popular amongst
    home builders these days, high quality work is par for the course when you have a new houyse built.

Peet versions are alo available for homes that have small
    animals as well as small children running round and
    bringing in dirt. A custom house iis one where the buyer
    contracts the builder to build their house forr them.

19. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    many months of hard work due to no data backup.
    Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

20. Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room
    mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward
    this article tto him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.

Thanks for sharing!

21. Hey There. I found your blog using msn.
    This is a really well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
    useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely